Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Nature of Love

I came across an interesting article today and it got me thinking on the nature of Love. Now this might get a bit mushy so all of you who cringe at that please stop reading...
Ok so whoever is left, let's go down the rabbit hole...

I've heard wise men talk about loving everyone and giving and not wanting anything in return and I always wondered how I am expected to do that. It didn't make sense to me. The main reason for that is, that in most of our heads everything is analysed as cause and effect. Like, I love someone and they love me back that completes the cycle for me, but today I'm thinking that Love does not work in that way.

If you think about it no emotion works in that way and we know that of all the others but somehow we judge Love differently.
Let's take Fear for example. If we fear someone, do we expect them to fear us back? Naturally not...similarly if we bring Joy to someone, do we expect them to give it back to us? Again the answer is No. Yes they might or might not but we don't expect it in return.
Yet, when it comes to Love, we expect to get it back. We feel unfulfilled if we don't get it back and I'm wondering if that has something to do with the nature of Love or Us.
I think Love like any emotion is created within us and then expressed, simple and straight forward and whatever it's rewards for creating it are, to expect the same from another, is not Love but something completely different, called Ego.

Now don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with Ego, it's just that perhaps we are confusing the two and putting Love and Ego together and calling it LOVE! And I think LOVE doesn't exist.

So as an experiment we should see what happens when we separate the two. Let Love do it's thing and Ego do its thing but let's not confuse the two.
So if you Love someone, let that be enough, let it be an end in itself and not the premise for anything more.

And my instinct tells me, that if one can love like that and not expect it back, then Love will find its way back to you anyway...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

10 comments:

  1. Perfectly said, but I seriously believe that love excist, I know it and I want everybody would feel the magic of this sense

    ReplyDelete
  2. good article.There's a certain depth to the notion that has been portrayed so wisely.A very mature attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, but it's so difficult to perform an experiment within yourself! Remaining objective with such a thing - let alone an experiment for emotions -can be quite difficult. Isn't it amazing that with all we know about how things work, we still may never know HOW things work? There's a poem entitled, "I saw a man pursuing the horizon" by S. Crane. It fits well for such situations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love exist ... But true love available is only chosen people! Most of the people living life in the power of the ego (((

    ReplyDelete
  5. well said, uday! your post reminded me of the saying of Hafi- poet of 13th century. He said- "Even after all this time, the sun never says to the Earth you owe me, just think what a love like that does, it lights up the whole sky, it lights up the whole sky."

    ReplyDelete
  6. You write really well! and it makes sense ;)

    ReplyDelete