Saturday, March 17, 2012

Guru - On the purpose of Life

Me: what is the purpose of life?
Guru: That question has baffled me for years

Me: And do you have an answer
Guru: I have an idea, but not sure if it's "the" answer

Me: let's hear it.
Guru: I believe that Life has one single purpose...To Win!

Me: Meaning?
Guru: I've started thinking of Life as an independent entity. Something that is alive and conscious and it is our greatest Nemesis.

Me: What!!!? You gotta explain more.
Guru: Life is the most sadistic being in the Universe, right from the very beginning its sole purpose is to kill you and not being satisfied with that, it will try it's best to make the years up until your death as miserable as possible.

Me: That's a very dark and disturbing look at things Guru.
Guru: Perhaps, but if you understand it's purpose you will see that actually it is quite wonderful.

Me: Ok I gotta hear more...
Guru: Ok ill start with something simple...humans were born naked right?

Me: Right.
Guru: Yet if we stayed naked we would die of exposure.

Me: Ok, so?
Guru: So everything we've ever accomplished in life, be it shelter, farming, culture, religion, technology etc. is our way of winning the battle against Life...of staying alive.
If life wasn't out to get us, we would never fight back, never progress and never create this society that we have. We have gone from being Animals to a civilised society in a very short amount of time and all that because Life would have destroyed us if we didn't.

Me: So the purpose of life is to destroy us?
Guru: The purpose of life is to fight us. To be a worthy adversary. It is a battle, a game, however you see it, it is what keeps us going, reaching for the stars and never stopping. It pushes us to the edge and once there, we realise what we are made of. We can either choose to fight and move ahead or perish and die, so far I think we are doing quite well...don't you agree?

Me: I'm a little confused, you've turned this question around by making Life into a being and that's fine but it still brings me back to my original question, what is the purpose of anything, us, this universe, everything!
Guru: I thought that was obvious

Me: Not to me
Guru: The question itself is the answer.

Me: Now your talking in riddles again.
Guru: No I'm not.

Me: Please explain.
Guru: Every single higher thought of humanity trickles down from this very question...be it religion, philosophy or science. From the moment we gain consciousness we have wondered about it, but what people don't seem to understand is that, what if our purpose is to actually keep asking the question. The answer is not the beginning of consciousness but the end of it. Our answer will be given when it all ends, The Universe and everything in it and then the search will all start again with a new question.

I can sum up what you ask in the only way I know for the moment...

Ours is to play, to fight, to win...to move beyond what is there to what can be. In essence to dream and bring those dreams to reality. Ours is not in finding the answers but in searching for them. For the answers lie only at the end. The end of everything!





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

  1. I liked the Guru on sadness, (I think it's because I'm sad) but I liked that too, do not stop write because I love to read.
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naturally we would spend all life in finding the answer on questions and on strugglong with life and once we would find that we are staying on the edge of it, my question is what for we are living?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting read! Since, I was writing on the same concept since a month now (Mind-Made), I know exactly what you intend to mean here!! Check out my piece, will definitely provide a good insight;
    http://soul-silhouette.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. U reflect struggle for existence in socratic way.It shows ur writing has great maturity.Keep on writing.

    ReplyDelete