Friday, January 20, 2012

Spirituality

I've decided to write a blog, it doesn't stem from any need to put my thoughts out there or even as a hobby. No! it comes from a deep need to use my iPad and this new software (I know its not new but I just discovered it) called BlogPress.

So here goes, my first blog...
I want to attempt something lofty today..."Spirituality" yes thats going to be my topic.
You see I think everyone is looking at Spirituality all wrong.
I asked a few people at random, what are their first thoughts when they think of Spirituality

Some said...
Meditation, tarot card readers, astrologers, peace, calm, positivity...

While others took the names of all the gods they believed in, I wont innumerate them cause, well there are just too many.
Anyway, I then came across this tiny little creature (some people call them children) eating Ice-Cream (actually it looked like the Ice-Cream was eating her but anyway). So I asked her what she thought of Spirituality.
And she said, with almost manic excitement in her eyes "Ice-Cream" and then proceeded to lick off the offending rivulets of cream which were now causing a deluge in her arm...

I just shook my head at the child's clear inefficient way of eating that ice cream, I mean c'mon by the amount of Ice-Cream these monsters consume they should be pros at it, I guess thats why these strange creatures are so short...most of their food is wasted on their clothes and body.

Anyway so here I was with no clear answer as to what Spirituality was and was about to give up on the subject when I decided to test the little creatures theory, mostly it was because that Ice-Cream did seem quite yummy but I convinced myself that it was for the benefit of my research.

So I bought a few scoops of varying flavours and sat down trying to discover Spirituality.
The first lick of the cold creamy dessert came rushing into my senses like a long forgotten dream, It was sooooo delicious and I proceeded to then, clear the entire contents of my bowl as fast and efficiently as possible, savouring every moment of pleasure that it gave me.
Once finished, I looked up and saw that unlike that little creature, I had managed to eat it all without it forming a fjord on my person. I jumped up with excitement at my feat patting myself on the back for having out-performed the little creature.
I had completely forgotten all about my research. In that first lick of Ice-Cream I had completely lost myself in its yummy creaminess and now after it was gone I was just left with a memory of how wonderful it was and now after the excitement was over I realised that my research was still incomplete.

I stood there for a moment, scratching my head, trying to decipher what to do next, how to proceed with my research, when that little creature came trancing along (apparently thats how they move, by trancing, its a special skill and I have not mastered it yet) and said to me "Sipi-alee-tee" and then ran away making those awful noises that creatures of her kind make all the time (some people call it giggling).

And there I had it, conclusive proof that Ice-Cream is Spirituality and these small creatures are probably the most "Sipi-alee-tual" creatures on the planet.

My point is, Spirituality is not a lofty ideal or something to be thought about and mastered, it is the experience of the moment, the joy in the everyday things. It is anything and everything...it can be meditation or a car, A Guru or your friends and in my case it was a small little creature eating Ice-Cream.

Disclaimer: I was not paid by the Ice-Cream companies for this blog, well not in cash anyway :-)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

23 comments:

  1. ITS FUNNY BUT ITS MEANINGFUL , VERY GOOD START UDAY KEEP IT UP .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this blog.. and I agree with "these small creatures are probably the most "Sipi-alee-tual" creatures on the planet." and if ice cream brings you close to that then by all means.. i think everyone has a different way to get to there... :) hope we keep hearing from u

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ur Very First Blog will be remmbered by every one now... u nailed it!!!... Good work... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg. I haven't read anything this realistic and applicable at the same time. I once felt this thing while doing yoga on a cool breezy evening in a park. :))
    Made me smile. Will keep watching this space for more to come

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the best form of spirituality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. when your approach towards anything you are doing gets more & more Divine...its Spirituality.
    Being Greedy here seems good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked the way you described Childrens "small little creature". Yesterday i was listening your movie songs 'Neal & Nikki' and now today i read this, totally different person i found. Excellent Work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading this reminds me of a bloke called 'Ali' of Dhoom2.
    Plain and Simple. No complications. Will believe in all that comes his way. Confused most of the times. Scratching head, but above all moving on and ahead in life ! I think that is spirituality. We never stop. We live and move on is the exact definition of everything. Stopping means the end. Moving is spirituality. So move on to your next blog Uday & continue your spiritual journey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well written and this small little creatures aka angels is the best thing write about to introduce yourself in the blogging world....carry on and hope to read more good things written by you...best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. the word 'spirituality' has many definitions, varying with different people. But one thing is common, everybody wants to define it in such a way that they want to be 'spiritual. That is, being spiritual is considered to be a 'good' thing. If I had to define it, it would be exactly what you wrote.. 'being happy!'.
    Anybody who talks about inner peace and being mystic, and being connected to god, needs to explain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! That's a lovely post...We really miss out on the small yet imp things in life as we grow up don't we, http://liferocks-priya.blogspot.com/2011/06/yipeeeeeeee-its-raining-d.html the last pic in this blog is what spirituality is for me, but I know I haven't njoyed the rains or squealed like that in a long time.... time to get in touch with my Sipi-alee-tual side :)Best of luck for all ur future posts, will look forward to 'em

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyedd reading your blog entry today. Agree spirituality isn't a lofly thing, it's something that is still there. It can be everything, everything and everywhere. Even a bird can be spiritual. I guess this lil child has a new word now 'Sipi-alee-tual' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. u owe 1 click..
    http://capratikvora.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. good job, BOSS ! u r ur father's son. creative and intelligent

    ReplyDelete
  17. You probably don't care if I say this but I completely believe in what u say. Feeling happy about everything and enjoying everything U do. That is spirituality. That's how I try to live my life. Its hard sometimes but it's worth living some special moments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spirituality is the connection a person has to the inner being. Spirituality can give us strength, it can come from religion, family, friends, etc. When we lose that connection, we lose our strength and resolve. I think you are brave to tackle such as deep question, but I appreciate your reminder that we have to look at ourselves and find our own answers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hurrah! Uday enters blogdom!
    I have to be careful at work reading your tweets...laughing out loud in the library is frowned on.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Me gusto, muy bueno, chevere!!!!!!! Que no sea el unico!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I thought money can't buy everything, but even "Sipi-alee-tee" can be bought :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. lovely,..a vry deep topic in a light manner,...luvd it,..keep d gud wrk goin,... :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanx uday sir, for this article...thoroughly enjoyed it.... will try to apply it....:-)

    ReplyDelete